NOTE: Classes offered in person or Online via Web Conference
Board Certification serves the purpose of:
- Protecting the public.
- Assuring consumers that practitioners have met standards of practice.
- Meeting the requirements of professional boards and other certifying bodies.
- Advancing the profession.
- Enhancing a professional’s practice and developing a marketing niche.
- Demonstrating an individual’s commitment to their profession.
STTI credentials reflect high standards of academic instruction, supervised training and consultation, and applied skills in field settings.
The Therapist Certification Association (TCA) Board is comprised of sex therapists and sexologists with a wealth of education and experience. It is this board through which STTI graduates may attain certification.
TCA offers three levels of Board Certification:
- Board Certified Sex Therapist
- Board Certified Clinical Sexologist
- Board Certified Human Sexuality Professional
Also offered is basic certification which entitles the use of the title "Sex Therapist", but is not equivalent to Board Certification. *Available only to Florida applicants.
Requirements for each certification include education in specific core areas and supervised work experience. (Follow the links to each area of certification for specifics pertaining to that level.)
Education in the form of academic degrees, specialized programs in sexology, and conferences/workshops are applied towards the certification requirements.
Certification also requires work in the particular field in which the aspirant wants to specialize. This work needs to be supervised by trained and credentialed professionals who will assess and strengthen the skills needed for practical application.
Applicants for certification will submit proof of attainment of all requirements to the TCA Board for approval.
Cost and Registration
Students interested in Board Certification must complete the 150-hour education requirement, along with the required number of individual supervised therapy hours (hour requirement varies depending on area of certification). The cost of this program is $6,000.00. A $600 program deposit is required at the time of enrollment.
FL licensees interested in basic certification which entitles the use of the title "Sex Therapist" must complete the 120 hour education requirement, as well as the 20 hours of individual supervised therapy. The cost of this program is $4,800.00. A $600 program deposit is required at the time of enrollment.
Registration is open year-round for those wishing to enroll. Register Now
Certified professionals may hold a Full or Student membership for as long as they comply with requirements for their specific certification. Benefits of membership include 10 hours of free CE credits annually. Members are offered a professional listing available online as well as being listed in the TCA member directory.
Code of Ethics
Members will adhere to the Code of Ethics for their particular field (i.e.: Clinical Social Work, Psychology, Nursing, etc.) including, but not limited to, the following:
- American Mental Health Counselors Association (http://www.amhca.org/assets/content/CodeofEthics1.pdf)
- The Association for Addiction Professionals (http://www.naadac.org/resources/codeofethics)
- American Nurses Association (http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/EthicsStandards/CodeofEthicsforNurses)
- Association of American Educators (http://www.aaeteachers.org/index.php/about-us/aae-code-of-ethics)
- American Psychological Association (http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx)
- National Association of Social Workers (http://www.socialworkers.org/pubs/code/code.asp)
All applicants shall participate in twenty hours of supervision. (10) hours of group supervision and case study and complete ten (10) hours of individual supervision with an TCA approved supervisor.
Supervision is the relationship between the qualified supervisor and intern that promotes the development of
- attitudes and
- adherence to ethical, legal and regulatory standards
Supervisees will sign a contract with the supervisor, in which the duties, responsibilities, and expectations will be clearly delineated.
Group supervision will be provided at the end of each class period and will be open to all class attendees. Individual supervision may include two supervisees and include work products such as process notes, videos, workshop presentations, or other demonstrations of the applicant’s skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Application for Certification and Approval Process
There is no membership application fee for STTI students. Non-STTI applicants shall pay a non-refundable fee of $300.
Applications shall include the following:
- Completed TCA application form
- Copies of licenses, certifications, or degrees
- Copies of educational certificates
- Documentation attesting to work experience
- Written recommendation from STTI approved supervisor
- One personal and one professional endorsement
Upon receipt of the application package, the STTI Board will review all documentation and approve or deny the application for certification. A denial may be appealed with a request in writing within ten (10) calendar days and a date for a personal appeal to the Board will be scheduled.
Applicants approved for certification will receive a certificate effective for two (2) years. Renewal of Human Sexuality Professional and Clinical Sexologist certification will be subject to completion of ten (10) continuing education hours in a relevant subject area. Sex Therapists and Psychologists shall complete ten (10) hours of Continuing Education for renewal for each subsequent two-year renewal period. The renewal fee is $100.
Students may substitute content areas if requested and approved by the TCA Board.
All certified professionals will be listed in the TCA Membership Directory and will have a professional listing available online.
Continuing Education provided by Dr. Carol L. Clark.
- Florida Department of Health, Medical Quality Assurance Provider #50-550/BAP585.
- Dr. Carol L. Clark is an approved CEU provider for the Florida Board of Nursing, expires 10/17,
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Mental Health Counseling, expires 3/17
- Florida Board of Psychology, expires 5/18
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) #11-112B These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification.
- All ATTI classes are approved by the Florida Certification Board #5094-A
- Dr. Carol L. Clark is approved under FL DOH/MQA to provide sex therapy and hypnotherapy CEUs.