NOTE: Classes offered in person or Online via Web Conference
The Sex Therapy Training Institute
STTI exists to provide high standards of academic instruction, supervised training and case consultation, and ability to utilize skills in field settings.
The STTI training program is for therapists, psychologists, medical providers, educators, and other professionals who want to specialize in human sexuality, sex education, or practice sex therapy.
The program is comprised of 150 hours of education and 20 hours of supervision/case consultation.
Students may attend both classes and supervision via live webinar, in person, or in combination.
Students have a choice of schedules: Weekly Saturday classes with holidays and breaks off or alternate months from Thursday to Monday. All classes are held from 9:30am to 3:00 pm, Eastern time. Group supervision/case consultation is from 3:00pm to 4:00pm each Saturday following class. Students will schedule 10 hours of Individual/Paired supervision with a supervisor at a mutually agreed-upon time.
The class schedule may be viewed at https://www.therapycertificationtraining.org/calendar and clicking on each class will open a class description. Students must attend all classes for credit, although they may watch up to three class recordings if needed for make-up in the event a class is missed or attended only partially.
Upon completion of all classes and supervision hours, students will be eligible for Board Certification from the Therapist Certification Association (TCA) Board
The TCA Board is comprised of sex therapists and sexologists with a wealth of education and experience.
TCA offers three levels of Board Certification:
- Board Certified Sex Therapist
- Board Certified Clinical Sexologist
- Board Certified Human Sexuality Professional
The educational requirement is the same for all levels. Supervision/case consultation will be tailored for the student’s area of practice.
Please click here for more information about Board Certification.
Requirements for each certification include education in all core areas and supervised work experience. (Follow the links to each area of certification for specifics pertaining to that level.)
Education in the form of academic degrees, specialized programs in sexology, and conferences/workshops may be applied towards the certification requirements.
Certification also requires work in the particular field in which the aspirant wants to specialize. This work needs to be supervised through case consultation by trained and credentialed professionals who will assess and strengthen the skills needed for practical application.
Applicants for certification will submit proof of attainment of all requirements to the TCA Board for approval.
STTI classes cna be applied to our PhD program in Clinical Sexology. Click here to find out more about our PhD program.
Cost and Registration
The cost of the STTI 150-hour sexology education requirement is $6,000.00. There is a $750.00 fee for 10 hours of Individual/Paired supervision/case consultation A $600 program deposit is required at the time of enrollment. Ten hours of group supervision/case consultation is included in the cost of the education program.
Registration is open year-round for those wishing to enroll. Register Now
Certified professionals may hold a Full or Student membership for as long as they comply with requirements for their specific certification. Benefits of membership include 10 hours of free CE credits annually. Members are offered a professional listing available online as well as being listed in the TCA member directory. TCA also maintains a listserve and private Facebook group for members to connect and exchange resources or consult on cases.
Code of Ethics
Members will adhere to the Code of Ethics for their particular field (i.e.: Clinical Social Work, Psychology, Nursing, etc.) including, but not limited to, the following:
- American Mental Health Counselors Association (http://www.amhca.org/assets/content/CodeofEthics1.pdf)
- The Association for Addiction Professionals (http://www.naadac.org/resources/codeofethics)
- American Nurses Association (http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/EthicsStandards/CodeofEthicsforNurses)
- Association of American Educators (http://www.aaeteachers.org/index.php/about-us/aae-code-of-ethics)
- American Psychological Association (http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx)
- National Association of Social Workers (http://www.socialworkers.org/pubs/code/code.asp)
Supervision / Case Consultation Requirements
All applicants shall participate in twenty hours of supervision / case consultation. (10) hours of group supervision and case study and complete ten (10) hours of individual supervision with an TCA approved supervisor.
Supervision is the relationship between the qualified supervisor and intern that promotes the development of
- attitudes and
- adherence to ethical, legal and regulatory standards
Supervisees will sign a contract with the supervisor, in which the duties, responsibilities, and expectations will be clearly delineated.
Group supervision will be provided at the end of each class period and will be open to all class attendees. Individual supervision may include two supervisees and include work products such as process notes, videos, workshop presentations, or other demonstrations of the applicant’s skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Application for Certification and Approval Process
There is no membership application fee for STTI students. Non-STTI applicants shall pay a non-refundable fee of $200.
Applications shall include the following:
- Completed TCA application form
- Copies of licenses, certifications, or degrees
- Copies of educational certificates
- Documentation attesting to work experience
- Written recommendation from STTI approved supervisor
- One personal and one professional endorsement
Upon receipt of the application package, the STTI Board will review all documentation and approve or deny the application for certification. A denial may be appealed with a request in writing within ten (10) calendar days and a date for a personal appeal to the Board will be scheduled.
Applicants approved for certification will receive a certificate effective for two (2) years. Renewal of Human Sexuality Professional and Clinical Sexologist certification will be subject to completion of ten (10) continuing education hours in a relevant subject area. Sex Therapists and Psychologists shall complete ten (10) hours of Continuing Education in Sex Therapy/Sexology for renewal for each subsequent two-year renewal period. The renewal fee is $200.
Students may substitute content areas if requested and approved by the TCA Board.
All certified professionals will be listed in the TCA Membership Directory and will have a professional listing available online.
Continuing Education provided by Dr. Carol L. Clark.
- Florida Department of Health, Medical Quality Assurance Provider #50-550/BAP585.
- Dr. Carol L. Clark is an approved CEU provider for the Florida Board of Nursing, expires 10/19
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Mental Health Counseling, expires 3/19
- Florida Board of Psychology, expires 5/18
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) #11-112B These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification.
- All ATTI classes are approved by the Florida Certification Board #5094-A
- Dr. Carol L. Clark is approved under FL DOH/MQA to provide sex therapy and hypnotherapy CEUs.
- Dr. Carol L. Clark, DBA Therapy Certification Training has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6856. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Dr. Carol L. Clark, DBA Therapy Certification Training is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.