Certified Sex Therapists deal with concerns related to:
- Enhancing sexuality
- Sexual abuse
- Sexual orientation
- Gender identity
- Sexual dysfunction
- Alternative lifestyles
- Sexual compulsion and addiction
- General relationship difficulties
As a Certified Sex Therapist, you will offer:
- An extra level of perceived trust. Sexual problems often carry a layer of shame beyond general mental health issues. Potential clients want a therapist with whom they can share their secrets without fear of judgment.
- A specialized knowledge of a variety of issues related to sexuality.
- Positive, sex- and relationship-enhancing attitudes and strategies that will help clients live fuller and more satisfying lives.
As a Certified Sex Therapist, you will receive:
- Higher fees
- Recognition among your peers and clients of your expert status
- Enthusiasm and satisfaction from working with a diverse clientele
- The ability to work in restricted fields, such as sex education or in sex offender treatment.
Academic and Credentialing Requirements
Applicants shall have earned or be in the process of earning, a Master’s degree or higher in a human service field, including, but not limited to, one of the following:
- Mental Health Counseling
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Clinical Social Work
- Board Certification requires 150 hours of classroom education. Taken at 5 hours per week (class is held every Saturday from 9:30am-3:00pm) the program can be completed in less than one year if classes are attended continuously.
- Supervision may be taken concurrently with the education program.
- Florida licensees click here for information on our 120-hour, non-Board certification option.
Case Consultation and Supervision
Competence in the areas of human sexuality addressed during the education portion of the program will be refined and demonstrated through case consultation and supervision. Applicants are expected to be able to treat a wide variety of cases as sex therapists. This portion of the program will serve as an opportunity to identify and strengthen intervention knowledge and application using the PLISSIT model format.
Supervision/case consultation may be taken concurrently with the education program.
Each student will complete 10 hours of individual and 10 hours of group supervision/case consultation. This may incorporate specialized areas of interest for the clinician, as in:
- Sex therapy in private practice or agency setting
- Sex therapy for couples experiencing sexual dysfunction
- Sex therapy for a particular population, such as transgender or alternative lifestyles
- Sex therapy for sexual abuse victims
- Sex therapy for sex offenders
Cost of Program
The cost for 150 hours (Board Certification and Florida Psychologists) is $6,000.00.
A $600 deposit is required at the time of enrollment.
Florida licensees click here for information on our 120-hour, non-Board certification option.
Supervision/case consultation is required at a fee of $750. This fee is in addition to the cost of the 120- or 150-hours of education. Students may choose a supervisor on their own who is approved by STTI and waive the STTI supervision fee.
Continuing Education provided by Dr. Carol L. Clark.
- Florida Department of Health, Medical Quality Assurance Provider #50-550/BAP585.
- Dr. Carol L. Clark is an approved CEU provider for the Florida Board of Nursing, expires 10/17,
- Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Mental Health Counseling, expires 3/19
- Florida Board of Psychology, expires 5/18
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists (AASECT) #11-112B These CE credits may be applied toward AASECT certification and renewal of certification.
- All ATTI classes are approved by the Florida Certification Board #5094-A
- Dr. Carol L. Clark is approved under FL DOH/MQA to provide sex therapy and hypnotherapy CEUs.
- Dr. Carol L. Clark, DBA Therapy Certification Training has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6856. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Dr. Carol L. Clark, DBA Therapy Certification Training is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.